"If at first you don't succeed, do it the way your mother told you to." -- Author Unknown

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

South Indian Vegetarian Feast

One of the joys of living in the Triangle area is the diversity of populace, and the diversity of authentic restaurants where I can eat my fill without first having to slave in the kitchen for hours.

If you don't already know about Udupi Indian Vegetarian on the corner of Chatham and Maynard Streets in Cary (or Cary's "mini-India"), you should go! Weekday buffets are very reasonably priced and service is courteous and helpful.

Authentic South Indian food - this is what i grew up eating for lunch. Every meal I have there brings back memories of my grandmother and mother's cooking, every aroma takes me back to my childhood in Malaysia. This last visit, along with the usual array of dhal, rice, dosa, and curries they had plantain dry curry (Poduthul). I was in orbit!

I love introducing my friends to South Indian food - most people have only had the over-greasy saag paneer, bland tandoori chicken, and dry chapatis at Americanized North Indian places and have no idea of the aromatic, flavorful explosion of tamarind, coconut, chilly, and turmeric that is the backbone of South Indian food. My friend's eyes literally sparkled with joy as she had her first taste of dosa, that heavenly rice-and-white-lentil crepe. Now, THAT was a fabulous office lunch. If you go, wear elastic pants and plan to skip dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment