"If at first you don't succeed, do it the way your mother told you to." -- Author Unknown

Monday, October 3, 2011

Yum-yum indeed

I tried Yum-Yum Thai restaurant off Harrison Ave in Cary a couple of weeks ago and it was so good I had to go back! I am happy to report that the food was just as good the second time around, although the dining experience was slightly disrupted by a burning truck in the parking lot. Quite the drama! Luckily no other cars or people were hurt.
I had the fresh basil rolls and a basil-tofu stir fry - both pictured above. My friend had the eggplant stir-fry the first time, and another friend chose the Pad Thai the second time. They kindly let me sample and I was delighted. The ingredients were fresh, and the food tasted very good. None of that over-creamy, bland taste that some other chain "Thai" restaurants try to fool you with. The only minor quibble I had was that the food wasn't hot enough for my taste - but that was easily remedied by a couple of squirts of Sriracha hot sauce. Also, I thought the stir-fry dishes were a bit on the sweet side, but that is a matter of personal taste I suppose.

It's a surprising find, tucked away in a corner of an unassuming strip mall. But worth the drive given the dearth of really good Thai restaurants in downtown Raleigh where I work. The atmosphere was fairly quiet and the service quick and friendly both times. You do sometimes have to wave the waitress down, but this doesn't bother me since its pretty common in Southeast Asia. I've never been there for dinner , but for a catch-up lunch with friends or a business lunch, Yum-yum thai lives up to its name!

No comments:

Post a Comment