"If at first you don't succeed, do it the way your mother told you to." -- Author Unknown

Monday, August 29, 2011

Car Crash

Do you remember my post about my plan to make a car cake for my son's upcoming first birthday?

My husband and I finally got around to trying it out. 

The result? We crashed and burned miserably. It was a sad state of affairs, however, we did learn from our mistakes and hope to do another test "drive" next weekend. Hopefully by then it will be perfected. If not? We will have a store bought cake. Enough said. 

I really, truly wish I was an accomplished baker. I've tried throughout my years to find joy in it. While I have my moments - I love to make homemade chocolate chip cookies - much of what I try flops. I'm such a work in progress in the kitchen. 

Back to the cake. 

This is what it should have looked like. 







It didn't turn out like that. 

We didn't put enough cake mix in the mold. I thought it would rise more then it did. But, it didn't. We lost the wheels. We laughed...it looked like a hovercraft. 

My husband convinced me that he should be the one to frost it. He's a creative guy, great drawer, I thought it would translate well. Well...umm...I love you honey, but not so much! :-)

Here is the hovercraft we created - with frosting and a big number 1 on the top (nice add-on!). Try not to note that the frosting is actually sliding down the cake at this point...I guess it was too heavy. Very classy.
















So, what we've learned:

  1. Put two more cups of cake mix in the pan; make sure the pan is completely covered with shortening and flour...
  2. Use a different frosting combination...and my husband may be banned from the frosting going forward! We shall see! 
The one plus - it was REALLY delicious! We ate it with our neighbors while watching True Blood on HBO last night. Perfect with raspberry frozen yogurt. And, they got a good laugh out of it as well...fun for everyone!

I'll let you know how it goes next weekend....we're also going to try cake pops and whoopie pies! For a family that loves desserts, we sure do stink at making them!!! 
Have any other tips to share? We could use all the tips and suggestions you can offer! 

Until next time...

Louise

No comments:

Post a Comment