"If at first you don't succeed, do it the way your mother told you to." -- Author Unknown

Thursday, August 11, 2011

Forty two tomatoes.

The old frugal Indian Auntie inside me came roaring to life the last time I went farmer's marketing. It's high tomato season and the farmers are almost begging you to take their tomatoes, there is such an over abundance. Beautiful red, pink, orange, yellow, and purple tomatoes were selling for about $3/ pound.

One farmer had a box of bruised and imperfect tomatoes for $5.00! I stood indecisive at the stand as the farmer told me things like "Even if you only eat 4 and throw away the rest, you've already got your money's worth." Plus I had a six year old standing next to me saying "Let's do it mommy!" I heard generations of frugal Indian ancestors whispering in my ear.... it's a bargain, don't pass it up.... so I caved. Yes, i got the eye roll from the non-Indian hubby when he saw the box.

We counted forty two tomatoes in the box. it must have weighed over 20 pounds. What to do with all those tomatoes? Most of them had black or squishy spots - not really salad material.

I enlisted the kids' help. We spent a wonderful afternoon blanching the tomatoes and peeling them. Then I quartered the tomatoes and cooked it in their juices for about 10 minutes - didn't add any salt, water, or sugar, just the tomatoes. It took three batches in my biggest pot.

These are the sweetest tomatoes I have ever tasted!We froze it in ziploc bags in 2-3 cup portions to use later.

Expect lots of tomato recipes to be posted in the coming weeks!

1 comment:

  1. Yummm! I can't wait until you post the tomato recipes! It looks like the kids were great help too!

    ReplyDelete