"If at first you don't succeed, do it the way your mother told you to." -- Author Unknown

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Soap-acho! (Gazpacho)


The logical thing to do when it's high summer and you have foolishly bought forty-two tomatoes, is to make Gazpacho. Much as I love this classic cold tomato soup, I have never tried to make it, because I'm always afraid it won't taste as good as the ones I get in the restaurants. Armed with my cooked tomatoes from the Great Tomato Experience, and fresh cucumbers, bell peppers, and basil from my garden, I decided to chance it.

I turned to my trusty Betty Crocker Newlyweds Edition cookbook and modified good old Betty's recipe. It was amazing and delicious. I must have eaten three bowls full.

The children loved putting everything in the food processor and they actually both enjoyed eating it. Even the child who won't eat anything runny or saucy. The three year old calls it Soap-acho! So that's what we've all started calling it too.

Here's how I made it (and I know there are hundreds of recipes out there for soap-acho):
Cut up some whole wheat bread (about 3-4 slices) or fancy bread if you have it, into cubes. Sautee in olive oil to make croutons.
In food processor, use the low setting to process till desired consistency:
4 cups tomatoes, peeled and cooked (or 2 cans of whole tomatoes)
1 small cucumber, (I peeled off the skin but you don't have to)
1 small green capsicum pepper, seeds and stem removed
about 1/4 cup very good quality olive oil
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper (or more!)
2 tablespoons cooking sherry or white wine
2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
half of the croutons
handful fresh basil

That's it! I was so greedy for it I didn't even bother chilling it further - the tomatoes were already cold. I drizzled some more olive oil in each bowl, topped with a handful of croutons, and guzzled it down. Yummmm SOAP-ACHO!

No comments:

Post a Comment