"If at first you don't succeed, do it the way your mother told you to." -- Author Unknown

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Not quite the jewel I hoped for.

At our last shopping trip to the farmer's market, Missy and I decided to try something the farmer told us is called a "Jewel Melon". We'd never tried it before and we were curious. It certainly did look like a bright citrine jewel - sunny yellow with smooth skin and white ridges. We were really excited to take this beautiful fruit home. The farmer told us it tasted a bit like a watermelon. When we sliced it, the inside looked more like a cantaloupe, but with white flesh.

I peeled the skin off, scooped out seeds and cut it into cubes.The flesh was firm and crispy and very mild-tasting - the texture reminded me of a crispy pear. The flavor was what you would expect if a cucumber and a canteloupe mated. (Is that a suitable word for produce?) The verdict: "Yummy! I love it!" from Missy. "Bleagh!" from Little Man. A polite nibble and surreptitious throwing away of the rest from the hubby. Maybe 4 out of 10 from me.



Anybody out there tried Jewel melon? Any thoughts/ tips? Perhaps we should have let it ripen a couple of days before slicing. I'm willing to give it another try.

No comments:

Post a Comment